httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: Windows 2.0 MPM design issues
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 05:55:31 GMT
> From: Bill Stoddard [mailto:reddrum@attglobal.net]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2000 8:52 AM

First, great summary!  Thank you, I learned yet a bit more of it.

> Steps 1, 2, 4 & 5 could be done directly in the child
> process. Doing them in the parent process
> allows the sockets (and pending connections in the listen
> queue) to be maintained across a server
> restart. Doing these steps in the child process would cause
> all pending connections to be dropped
> across a restart.

This brings up a funky thing about mod_auth_digest.  Once Win32
supports shared memory (if we do) and once mod_auth_digest
actually uses it, do we care that much that we want to retain
the digest authentications/clients across restarts?  My guess
under WinNT is that we do.

But if the child creates the pool and doesn't report back to the
parent we have an issue.  We are going to need to set up some
hooking for process/thread model inits, so that the init is
called in the parent, and the parent always owns the shared
memory, or the child shares that memory to the parent for use
past it's lifetime.  Then the connections will just sit there
when the child has died/been killed and reused in the new child.

You just looked at that module, if I remember.  Any thoughts?