httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>
Subject RE: mod_dav integration
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2000 01:14:01 GMT

No objection here whatsoever, provided it remains a module that
administrators could include or pull at their discression.  Not
certain for several weeks if it should be bound into the core.

> Second: mod_dav is quite stable, [...] I'm quite comfortable
> just dropping it in and doing the 2.0 port, followed by
> some APR-ization. [...]
>
> Third: if there *are* technical issues with the code, then I
> would ask that we fix them after the checkin. I'd like to be
> able to check in a pure copy of the mod_dav 1.0 code and then
> to build up the necessary/requested changes the CVS history.

100% agreed, since the history will be important and virtually
every other source followed a similar route.  Again, as with
the early 2.0, I'd strip out the pre-1.0 history if you were
thinking of bringing that over... treat it, as it were, as a
completed starting point.

>   Near term: src/main/http_core.c picks up the
>     "LimitXMLRequestBody" directive.

I have a problem with this, unless other modules will obey the
exact same setting of this exact directive.  We are -already-
discussing the CLEANUP of http_core, pulling out mod_cgi crud
and so on.... we don't need extra mod-specific code in there!!!

If it is abstract and necessary then fine, but not if this will
be principally for mod_dav... similar for the other dav_xml...
stuff, if it -will- be used for many modules, great, if it is
truly mod_dav specific, then no, they belong in mod_dav.

I'll be judging this way, prior to beta 1, if there are any
lingering if (ap_moddav_symbol()) things in any util_bleh or
http_core modules, I'll be screaming :)  Since you simply want
the straight move followed by cleanup, I'll shut up a while.

If we can implement the xml pumping in a seperate http_xml base
module, I think everyone clamoring for a better http_core will be
much, much happier.  Then mod_dav can be included after http_xml
and leverage upon it.

> sdbm/:
>   The SDBM library. Public domain, stable, includes changes
>   incorporated from Perl and mod_ssl. Also, specific to mod_dav
>   are some additions to use file locks for exclusive access.
>   Location: src/lib/sdbm/

Yes, good place :)

All in all the ideas are good.

Bill