httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Lee Passey" <lpas...@novell.com>
Subject OIDs
Date Fri, 12 May 2000 01:55:30 GMT
I have been following with interest the discussion thread on modular
configuration.  As you might guess, as an employee of Novell I find
the notion of directory-based configuration, via LDAP, very intriguing.
I have even started protyping some ideas I had, which I am not quite
yet prepared to expose to public ridicule.

One thing has come up, however, which I believe requires some prompt
attention. Graham Leggett suggested storing each directive for an Apache
Server object in a manner similar to:

objectclass: apacheGlobal
apServerName: fred.domain.com
apPort: 80
apLogLevel: warn
[etc]

My heart tells me that this is the proper approach to LDAP configuration,
although my head disagrees.  In any case, most, if not all, LDAP compatible
directories recommend or require unique Object Identifiers (OIDs) for each
object or attribute type in the schema.  If Apache configuration information
is going to be stored in an LDAP directory, we should get an assigned root
OID for the Apache Software Foundation from which all configuration objects
and attributes can be derived.

There are a number of options we could pursue for an assigned OID.  I
suspect that I could convince Novell to assign a number to the Apache
Software Foundation under its arc (2.16.840.1.113719) and I also suspect
that we could convince someone at IBM to let us have a number under
its arc (1.3.18.0 - point of contact is golick@us.ibm.com) or maybe
someone at Sun Microsystems could get us a number under their arc.  I
personally don't find any of these options particularly appealing as
the Apache project transcends any corporate interest.

Similarly, while we could seek an assignment from ANSI under 2.16.840.1
(US company arc) or 2.16.840 (US objects) the Apache project also trans-
cends national boundaries.  In addition, the information available to me
(http://web.ansi.org/public/services/reg_org.html) indicates that there is a USD 1,000
registration fee for an ANSI assignment.

Probably the most fitting place for the Apache Software Foundation is in
1.3 (ISO Identified Organizations).  This is where IBM, Digital Equipment
Corporation, the IANA, the Open Software Foundation and Thawte Consulting
sit.  As of late 1996 information about this arc could be obtained from:

        Miss A. M. Wadsworth
        BSI
        389 Chiswick High Road
        London W4 4AL
        G.B.
        Tel: +44 181 996 7466
        Fax: +44 181 996 7048

A final option is to obtain a number from IANA as an entry in the IANA-
registered Private Enterprises arc.  There are currently 6115 entries
in this arc for enties ranging from govenments (State of Michigan) to
universities (U of Tennessee) to private companies (Xylogics, Inc.) to
non-profit organizations (Florida Teaching Profession - NEA) to individuals.
Registration is free, and an assignment can be obtained in a matter of days
from http://www.isi.edu/cgi-bin/iana/enterprise.pl.  This is under
iso.org.dod.internet and so might be a good fit.

I know I don't have to ask for others to comment on this suggestion ...;-)

Re-engaging lurk mode ...

W. Lee Passey
Software Engineer, Novell, Inc.
lpassey@novell.com