httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject filtered I/O tail recursion bad/good?
Date Wed, 31 May 2000 23:59:58 GMT

I dislike tail recursion in any form for filtered I/O.  It is my belief
that the link-design is mutual or indirect tail-recursion.  On some
platforms (not all) this is going to kill our performance.  I believe
(Cliff, please correct me) that Solaris had tail-recursion in their stream
stack architecture, and they saw a huge performance win when they removed
it.  Tail-recursion isn't necessarily a performance killer, but on some
platforms it is, and Apache supports too many platforms to play games with
this, IMHO.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131