httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject filtered I/O memory from stack or pools.
Date Wed, 31 May 2000 23:55:48 GMT

I personally would rather see us allocating memory from pools than on the
stack.  If we use recursion of any kind in the filtered I/O design, then
we are going to be allocating on the stack.  In a worst case scenario,
this gives us about 24K of stack space being used with just 3 layers.

Here's how I got that number.  Our Max string length is 8K, if we pass 8K
into the top layer of the filter stack, it is reasonable to assume we'll
have 8K passed to the next stack and so on.  At the end of three layers,
that 24K of stack space on just one thread of a threaded process.  Bad in
my opinion.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131