httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Review then commit.
Date Sat, 27 May 2000 16:47:45 GMT

> > > I disagree very, very strongly.
> >
> > Would you care to explain why, and maybe put some bugs in the STATUS file.
>
> Take a look at the 1.3 STATUS file. Migrate all that stuff over to the 2.0
> STATUS file. I'll take three features that I am interested in putting into
> 2.0:

Then please start moving them into the 2.0 status file.

> * config option for *DBM usage     [in STATUS]
> * include SDBM into src/lib/sdbm/  [in STATUS]
> * include mod_dav                  [not in STATUS]
>
> Probably some more work/refinements on the config stuff. I/O filtering.
> Possibly non-filesystem resources.

But the config stuff doesn't need to be in an alpha because it is
invisible to the user.  I/O filtering has had one potential commit made,
and another patch submitt'ed (the second was totally not complete and was
just a possible direction), most people hated the first and ignored the
second.  I am cleaning the second and expect to submit it to the list
early next week.  I really don't know what you mean by non-filesystem
resources.

> A release is not defined by "zero showstoppers and zero bugs." Now, I'm
> not really sure what *does* define it (i.e. when do we declare a beta and
> when we start release candidates), but I don't think it is today. And RTC
> is really for the final end-game.

Here's my position.  We have had three potential 2.0's now (not alpha's,
three independant 2.0 repositories), and we are about to have a fourth
alpha for this one.  This one is getting stable, and many of the people
who have been working hardest on this would like to see it released and
moved forward.  We don't need to get everything into 2.0, that's why we
have 2.1 and 2.2.

I don't want to take another year to get 2.0 released.  I would like to
head towards beta relatively soon, because I think this is almost ready
for it.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131