httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cleanups returning void
Date Sat, 20 May 2000 08:42:17 GMT
On Sat, 20 May 2000, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Fri, 19 May 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > 1) ignore errors when cleaning up APR types.
> > 2) duplicate code so that the functions to register cleanups don't return
> > an error value.
> > 3) Use a layer of indirection for cleanups (explained below)
> > 4) leave it alone.
>
> I say leave it the way it is -- cleanup functions return a status code.
>
> *) it allows their reuse in other contexts
> *) it allows us to detect and log errors in the run-cleanup functions

Because I'm not sure I was clear about m y preference, I am -1 for options
1 & 2, and +1 for 3 or 4.  I like option 4 for the same reason Greg does,
but we need to add some error checking and logging code.  This would
probably be very nice, because it would mean that if there is a problem in
executing a cleanup, it wouldn't be silent, which I think we can all agree
is a good thing.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131