httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: A silly question perhaps...
Date Tue, 16 May 2000 14:29:41 GMT

> > Each MPM defines SAFE_ACCEPT or something like it based on
> > NO_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT.  SAFE_ACCEPT then calls an APR function which knows
> > what kind of mechanism to use for SERIALIZATION on each platform.
>
> I think Bill's point is "where can we override what APR selects."
> Recall that some OSs support more than one version, but using
> one results in bogus performance over choosing another. For example,
> using FCNTL under NFS is very SLOW for some OSs so instead you'd
> want FLOCK (even when your locks aren't ON an NFS volume).

I thought that was what the hints.m4 file was being used for.  It would be
very nice to be able to be able to do:

./configure --with-lock-method=(flock|fcntl|semaphore)

when configuring APR, but I think that can be handled in the future, after
the first beta.  :-)

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131