httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/mpm/winnt winnt.c
Date Mon, 15 May 2000 17:52:04 GMT

> <rant relevance="minor">
> But, since I don't maintain the Windows port and thus don't consider
> my own opinions to be worth much for that platform, I might as well
> follow on with another meaningless opinion on APR directory structure:
> it sucks.  Having to flip through multiple directories just to fix
> a single bug in one routine makes maintenance a pain in the ass.
> I'd rather have a forest of #ifdefs than have the same broken logic
> cut-n-pasted into multiple files in the vague hope that the maintainers
> of other platforms will fix the same bugs in parallel.  Failing that,
> I'd rather have all the code for a given purpose in one directory and
> use name suffixes to separate them by platform, since then I won't have
> to leave my frame of reference just to do platform comparisons.
> </rant feeling="much better now, thanks">

Roy, I know there are people who dislike the directory structure.  Here's
a question for you.  How often have you tried to fix a bug in APR?  Have
you noticed that most of the code that is in different directories doesn't
look anything alike?  We have solved this issue by having common code be
truly common.  The code that isn't common is in different
directories.  This means that there shouldn't be much, if any, code
cut-and-pasted from one directory to the next.  Take a look at the BeOS
file_io code.  It's non-existant, because all of that code was an exact
copy of the Unix code.  Or, take a look at the time functions.  There are
only two directories, unix and win32, but the code works on beos and os/2
because they automagically use the unix code.

If there is a real issue here, then lets fix it, but #ifdefs don't help
when the entire function is five big #ifdefs, it just makes the code
harder to read and understand.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131