httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: mod_macro
Date Sun, 14 May 2000 16:14:58 GMT

> > Well, they are out at the time, and you don't have to use them if there
> > are in some day;-)
>
> Duplicating function that has already been written for us means more
> bugs, more complexity, more code (meaning less chance of fitting into
> cache as Dean always says). This affects everybody.

Yes Manoj, you are correct, duplicating function is a bad thing.  However,
we have yet to find a solution that provides as much flexibility as what
we currently have in 1.3 using external solutions.  If you can provide the
same function in 2.0 as we currently have in 1.3, we are all willing to
listen.  However every comment you have made on this has caused mod_perl
to either lose functionality, or the mod_perl parser has to be able to not
only parse perl, but also all of the httpd.conf file.

Sometimes the only way to do something is to do it yopurself.  I am not
worried about this code fitting into the cache either, because this is
configuration code.  It shouldn't be run often on a running server, and if
it is slow, that isn't a big hit in the scheme of things.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131