httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Moving things around
Date Sun, 14 May 2000 16:11:23 GMT

> > What is "assinine" about not leaving stuff out when you don't have to?
> >
> > I want you to give me reasons why APR should leave thread support out
> > when the platform supports it.
>
> Doing so doubles the number of possible configuration combinations
> when using prefork (and maybe triples or more; what about when you can
> choose to use MIT pthreads, Pth, or Solaris threads?)
>
> Making code work under all those permutations is harder. And for
> users, configuring a system with so many choices is harder. So, since
> there is a known cost, it'd be nice to have a benefit to make it
> worthwhile.

Here's a thought, check the new-httpd archives for the last year.  Check
for the number of times that people have reported a problem with using
Threads on a Linux Box with Apache 1.3.  I can think of two or three such
comments, and that's just with people writing modules on Linux where
threads and 1.3 don't mix well.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131