httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject RE: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/mpm/winnt winnt.c
Date Mon, 15 May 2000 15:56:00 GMT

Here is my take on this.  Windows NT and Windows 9X are very different
platforms.  create two different MPMs.  They should be very similar to
each other, and should most likely contain some of the same code, so a new
directory structure may be required.  However, NT/2000 will always have
features that 95/98 don't have, and we want to take advantage of those
features.  Trying to squeeze them all into one MPM becomes ugly
quickly.  I suggest a layout similar to:

src/modules/mpm/windows/
                        win32
                        win9x
                        common

All of the common code goes into a dll in the common directory so that we
aren't duplicating too much code.  This doesn't even need to be a dll, it
could just be a set of C files that get compiled in with the stuff in the
other directories.

In th win32 directory is a Win32 MPM that does everything the current MPM
does (AcceptEx, CompletionPorts, etc.)

The win9x MPM is a very lightweight version of the Win32 MPM, that does
just what 9x can do.

I may be completely out of line, but this is my opinion.  This also keeps
us from opening up the ap_get_oslevel stuff.  Of course, if a Windows
person wants to explain why these should be in the same file, then we need
to re-evaluate opening up the ap_get_oslevel API's.

Ryan

On Fri, 12 May 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> [...]

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131