httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: mod_example in 2.0
Date Thu, 11 May 2000 17:23:06 GMT
On Thu, 11 May 2000, Greg Stein wrote:

> Yes, but Tony wasn't talking about that. He was discussing a "cosmetic
> unpleasantness."
> Read the mail :-)

I did.  The first line is:

> > > I'm fiddling with the build stuff to get mod_exaple functioning in 2.0

I'm sorry, did I mis-read that?

> Tony: I'm not sure that shifting the .m4 stuff *out* of the directory is
> appropriate. Is there any way we can adjust that find? Can we make the
> find a bit more explicit? e.g. grab the modules/extra first, then the mpm
> modules, then the rest?
> Dunno how to do that, tho... hard problem :-(
> If we could name the config files like 00config.m4, 01config.m4, etc, and
> then run them thru 'sort' on the last part of the path, then we could
> force the right order. Dunno how portable 'sort' is, though. Here is a
> quick hack:
> find . -name config.m4 | awk -F / -- '{print $(NF), $0 | "sort" }'
>        | awk -- '{print $2}'
> Dunno if there is a way to combine those two 'awk' invocations.

As for the rest of this, aren't we jumping the gun on this?  There has
been a lot of talk about fixing the autoconf stuff, which would vastly
simplify this problem, and most likely solve it for us.

The fact is, the Apache Autoconf is doing too much stuff.  It is checking
for things it doesn't need, which makes the config hard to deal with.  If
the platform specific stuff is moved to APR and removed from Apache, the
MPM and standard module selection becomes pretty much all that is left in
Apache, and the problem of which file to make the call from goes away,
because this can all be moved to a single file.

Ryan Bloom
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

View raw message