httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Moving things around
Date Tue, 09 May 2000 21:51:51 GMT

> I don't have a case to use threads in a multiprocess webserver. However, it
> would be nice to be able to load either a threaded MPM or the proces MPM
> into the same server. Not because I need threads in the process MPM, but
> because it would be real handy to be able to ship a single binary that can
> be configured to run efficiently in process-per-request mode or in
> thread-per-request mode. I have customers who are pretty adamant about
> needing the process based server. OTOH, maybe we can configure the threaded
> MPM to do one-thread per request. Not sure if it will work worth a damn
> though.

Every multi-threaded MPM already does one thread per request.  Having two
or three different MPM's in the same binary seems like a support
nightmare, and a bit ludicrous to me.  Why would we want to do
this?  Manoj and I have been saying for months now that the prefork MPM
should be removed, because the mpmt_pthread mpm does simulate the prefork
MPM exactly with the right build flags, and that could be made run-time
selectable.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131