httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Moving things around
Date Tue, 09 May 2000 23:21:23 GMT
On Tue, 9 May 2000, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> dean gaudet wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 6 May 2000, Greg Stein wrote:
> >
> > > If I choose the prefork MPM, then APR should *not* have its threads
> > > disabled. I might have a module that spins up a thread to do some work.
> > > Note that some of our I/O filtering designs will spin up a thread.
> >
> > no.  this is wrong.
> >
> > if you choose prefork MPM then you are choosing an APR that does not
> > support threads, and none of your modules can use threads.
> >

> I think that's too restrictive to be honest. APR provides a layer,
> which Apache uses as it wants (as I see it). Just because the user
> decides not to use a threaded MPM shouldn't mean we need to hold/restrict
> what APR provides to Apache, esp when one considers Apache being
> much more than "just" a web server.
>
> One shouldn't have to rebuild APR when switching MPM, imo.

ok fine.  here's one of my usual requests:

give me a use case.

demonstrate to me a need for a multiprocess webserver to support threads
(created by modules) within each process.

until someone does that we're all talking out our asses.

it's not sufficient to say "someone might want to do it".  i want to hear
what the application is, and i want to hear reasons why it should be
solved in such an assinine way.

-dean