httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How fast should I expect Apache to go?
Date Tue, 09 May 2000 00:57:45 GMT
> Some colleagues and I are working on speeding up SSL usage through use of hardware accelerators,
and would like to demonstrate
> improvements in web servers such as Apache.  We've been disappointed in the performance
we get from Apache "out of the box", both
> without SSL and with mod_ssl (software SSL), and were wondering if we're doing something
wrong.  I don't have precise figures at
> hand right now, but I've been quoted figures of 50--100 HEAD requests per second without
SSL, and about 10 per second with
> mod_ssl --- on some SPARC.  So let me ask: what should I expect, for example on a Sun
Ultra-10 workstation running Solaris 7 on a
> single 440 MHz UltraSparc IIi processor with 256 MB RAM, both without SSL and with mod_ssl?
 For another example, what would it take
> to get Apache to approx. 300 HEADs per second, without SSL, on Sun hardware & OS?

You should easily be able to get 300 HEADs per second on just about any
hardware.

Take a look at this, for example:

http://www.chamas.com/bench/index.html

That benchmarks a Hello World example written in various ways, including
static html, so that is slightly more data than just a HEAD request.

Not that these are very accurate, but they at least show you that Apache
can easily do a lot more than 50-100 HEAD requests per second.  You are
doing something very wrong.

-Rasmus