httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Moving things around
Date Sun, 07 May 2000 13:13:16 GMT
On Sun, 7 May 2000, Sascha Schumann wrote:

> > If I choose the prefork MPM, then APR should *not* have its threads
> > disabled. I might have a module that spins up a thread to do some work.
> > Note that some of our I/O filtering designs will spin up a thread.
>
> That's a good example and one which makes me reconsidering my
> point.
>
> So, provided that the APR configuration on one platform is always
> the same, dynamically loadable MPMs are possible.

No.  MPM's do affect how the compiler works.  Some of the stuff in MPM's
can and should be inlin'ed, this can't be done if the MPM is not linked
in.  There are other optimizations possible with the MPM code.

Dynamically loadable MPM's have always been _possible_, it just isn't
_advisable_.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131