httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: IOL - ap_sendX ap_recvX ap_transmitfile sematics?
Date Fri, 05 May 2000 17:10:34 GMT

> > And, I guess the big question is, what does the IOL indirection buy us
> > over direct calls to the apr?
>
> when i did the mpm/iol work i didn't use anything in APR -- because it was
> a short proof-of-concept.  i wanted to be sure that we got the
> architecture right.
>
> it's been said many times that the layering could be moved to APR.
>
> regardless of where it is, the layering is needed... and APR to me is more
> about a uniform interface to various OS features which are common amongst
> many OSs.

I have been on both sides of this discussion about moving layering into
APR.  I still don't know how I feel about it.  Moving the IOL's into the
APR structures removes some complexity, and adds other complexity.  I have
a design for doing it somewhere, but it is pretty low on my list of
priorities, because I'm just not sure it's a good idea yet.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131