httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: APR's thread-detection heuristics
Date Tue, 02 May 2000 14:18:49 GMT

> > hmm, you know i've stayed out of this configuration debate for the most
> > part because i just stopped caring, folks seemed to want to march in
> > directions that i just really couldn't follow.
> >
> > however, ISTR that when 4.0-CURRENT occured, even the present autoconf
> > based system didn't work on freebsd, and needed a patch.
>
> Dean, this comparison does not hold.
>
> APACI's design is flawed: It relies solely on its knowledge about
> specific OS versions. It always fails, if it encounters a system
> it does not know about.
>
> This cannot be fixed without redesigning APACI to use the
> autoconf approach of "check for features, not operating systems."
>
> On the other hand, the autoconf-based system in Apache 2.0 has
> been improved constantly. It works now on Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD,
> OpenBSD, AIX, UnixWare, Solaris, OS/390, OpenServer, BeOS, Tru64
> and other systems with comparable feature sets.
>
> Going the APACI route is a step backward.

I agree with Sascha here.  The configure system is still a bit messy, but
it is better than the 1.3 system IMHO.  And, with Sascha working on the
2.0 configure system as much as he is, it is getting better every day.  I
would still like to see some docs on the system, but I can wait until
Sascha is done for those.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131