httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject RE: BUFF, IOL, Chunking, and Unicode in 2.0 (long)
Date Tue, 02 May 2000 16:12:21 GMT
On Tue, 2 May 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> A few have argued recently that there is little point in releasing a
> 2.0 revision, since it's a glorified 1.3.x without the truly application
> independent APR.  I have to agree that APR, to date, is rather cobbled
> together pieces of Apache.  Movement underway makes me believe this will
> change over the course of the 2.0 release.
>
> On the server side, for admins, we really don't have what would appear
> to be a 'later and greater' set of features.

yeah it's pretty amazing that it's taken us 2+ years to get to this "sad"
state isn't it?

it's pretty pathetic that a threaded apache on unix has been delayed by
such silly things as compatibility on NT.

that said, if you or anyone else says that 2.0 should wait for "LOTS MORE
REALLY GREAT FEATURES" then you're doing us all a disservice.

there's nothing at all wrong with 2.0 being 1.3 plus threads.

-dean