httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: filtered I/O ordering
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2000 00:40:11 GMT
On Wed, 31 May 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> It is my opinion that it is relatively easy to order the filters using
> either the link or hook based design.  The link is obviously a linked-list
> and all programmers will know what to do.  The hook based design is using
> a concept that all Apache module writers will need to be familiar with the
> acheive the same result.  I do not see this as a stumbling block.  Other
> thoughts?

I agree that we can get these ordered for either scheme.

However, I have two thoughts:

1) the hook scheme tries very hard to *avoid* ordering. much of the
   documentation, the _FIRST and _LAST type stuff, etc is all written with
   the point of view that ordering is Badness.

2) I believe that ordering is the typical case and would like to see a
   model based around that. The hook model is "broadcast" with some extra
   features to introduce order.

Cheers,
-g

--