httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Review then commit.
Date Mon, 29 May 2000 19:50:01 GMT
On Sun, 28 May 2000, Eli Marmor wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> > Probably some more work/refinements on the config stuff. I/O filtering.
>
> "I/O filtering"?  Do you mean IOL?  Then it's already in the STATUS
> (although too hidden...). No doubt it's important for 2.0 (in my humble
> opinion, this one and the new configuration model are the most important
> improvements of 2.0 over 1.3.*; But it's only my own opinion, so please
> don't flame ;-).

I rarely flame :-)  Certainly not for a valid question.

No, I'm not referring to IOL. I'm talking about modules inserting
themselves into the output process to filter the output as it goes by.
Technically, this could be handled by IOLs, but they are a bit too
low-level in Apache's operational model right now. Basically, Apache has
the following output layers:

    ap_rwrite() and friends
    BUFF
    IOL

IMO, the output filtering/processing occurs between ap_rwrite() and BUFF.
It is possible that we would actually implement them as a new BUFF/IOL
pair, but this stuff is not "just IOL".

<Disclaimer>
Please don't bother to discuss the design of this stuff. I mentioned that
it is interesting, but I am *NOT* saying that the above ideas are the
proper design. I don't care about it right now, so please don't open this
whole can of worms (again!).
</Disclaimer>

Cheers,
-g