httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/main iol_file.c
Date Sun, 28 May 2000 10:27:21 GMT
On Sat, 27 May 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> >
> > I'm with OtherBill on this one.
> >
> > If the *compilation* is broken, then putting in a patch like this
> > certainly cannot hurt anything. Not like it can break it any more :-)
>
> I disagree.  The state of compilability is irrelevant
> to whether a patch should be committed or submitted for review.
> Commit-then-review is NOT licence to just shove stuff
> in.  Anything about which you feel unsure, or think might cause
> controversy, needs to be handled in review-first mode.  That's
> part of the rules for CTR.  When in doubt, play it safe;
> submit to the list with a 'if no-one objects within a couple
> of days, I'll commit it' -- that's also provided for by the
> CTR rules.

Hmm. I understand your position, but we're talking about a several line
patch to get things up and running (maybe you confused the compile-fix
problem with some of the other controversial patches that occurred at
nearly the same time?).

Yes, more work may still be needed, but by committing the compilation-fix
patch, it unblocked people so they could get real work done [until a
proper solution is crafted].

I agree that large patches under the guise of "but it didn't even compile"
would be a Bad Thing. I don't think this was the case here, which is why I
support OtherBill on it.

Cheers,
-g

--