httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Review then commit.
Date Sat, 27 May 2000 21:14:44 GMT
On Fri, 26 May 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> I would like some feedback here to moving to a review then commit mode for
> 2.0.  We are getting VERY close to the end of the alpha cycle, and it is
> time to stop treating this like a sandbox finally.

-1

I don't agree with this viewpoint. Yes, you are unhappy with some of the
changes, but I don't think a review-then-commit is the proper solution.
We're in an alpha stage of code. Review->Commit is a MUCH slower process.
We'll never get to a final release if we operate that way.

> One of the big things that is bothering me, is the sheer amount of code
> that went into the tree last night, with an alpha ready to be rolled
> tomorrow or Monday.  Yes, if the alpha is broken, we can just roll a new
> one, but IMO our alpha's need to start becoming VERY stable beasts.  This
> means taking some responsability to make sure that we aren't breaking
> things days before we put one out.

Separate problem. OtherBill should not have made such drastic changes
without offering up patches first. That is a process/education/habit
problem, rather than a problem inherent in commit-then-review mode.

And alphas don't have to be stable :-)

> For right now, I would like to call off the next alpha, and straighten out
> the code that went in last night (I believe two or three showstoppers were
> introduced, but I am still checking, and then I will update STATUS), and
> after that is done, roll our next alpha.

Seems fine.

Cheers,
-g

--