httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: building on Unix this a.m.
Date Sat, 27 May 2000 21:10:34 GMT
On Fri, 26 May 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > Fetching that string should be an APR-internal function from the dso/
> > area. Only the DSO modules are going to know how to fetch the string.
> >
> > There shouldn't be a HAVE_DLERROR, as all knowledge of that stuff "should
> > be" isolated to the dso/ directory.
>
> That's not the way anything in APR currently works.  I haven't really
> figured out the best way to do this, but creating a new solution is
> sub-optimal IMHO.

Fine, but using dlerror() in the first place was Just Plain Wrong (tm). I
had to suggest something :-)

The other alternative is to have #ifdef's to replace the dlerror() call.
IMO, that would be even more wrong since you're splitting up DSO handling
between errorcodes.c and the dso/ directory.

Whatever your solution, recognize that you've got two groups of code:

1) error string construction
2) DSO loading

Given that you are trying to insert DSO-specific stuff into (1), then you
have a problem if you try to keep (1) and (2) from talking with each
other. [my suggestion has (1) calling over to the (2) group]

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/