httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: proxy development mailing list
Date Sat, 27 May 2000 19:10:09 GMT
On Sat, 27 May 2000, Chuck Murcko wrote:
> There are enough people interested in ongoing development of mod_proxy
> that I'd like to get a proxy dev mailing list set up on apache.org.

+1

Would it make any sense to split it off into a separate mini-project that
is an add-on to the core Apache? It could still operate under the HTTP
Server Project, but be distributed as a separate package. That would serve
several points:

1) the base Apache no longer has proxy in it (good from a maintenance
   point of view, bug reports, etc)
2) allows mod_proxy to be decoupled from the Server delivery schedule
3) more committers can be brought in, for that particular project

The Jakarta and XML projects have numerous sub-projects. It seems that we
could create a similar mechanism under HTTPD.

> Are there any compelling reasons why this would not be a good idea?

If you create a separate list, then I'd recommend going the next step (a
complete sub-project) so that you can get adequate exposure,
participation, and infrastructure.

Cheers,
-g

--