httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: binary compatibility for APR
Date Thu, 25 May 2000 21:05:37 GMT
On Thu, 25 May 2000, Tony Finch wrote:
> Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> wrote:
> >On Tue, 23 May 2000, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> >> On the other hand...
> >>
> >> If the app has APR statically linked, no problem...
> >
> >I was considering at link time, when the app links against "libapr.a",
> >that APR_VERSION helps that case.
>
> IMO if the person compiling the application can't get the right
> version of APR to link then they deserve to lose. And I'd expect
> either the compile or the link to fail well before it gets to run
> time.
>
> I don't see the point of this change.

Since we have a function that needs to be called before anything else, it
provides an easy, quick point to provide an idiot check.

We build version checking into Apache itself, system libraries such as
WinSock provide APIs for version checking, etc. This is a low-cost check
which can quickly provide correct/clear feedback about a problem.

"deserve to lose" ... sure, we can also write Apache in assembler and
state that anybody who doesn't understand it "deserves to lose." :-) I
don't see a reason to punish idiots :-)

Cheers,
-g

--