httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: [Fwd: I want to contribute a software I've written.]
Date Tue, 23 May 2000 17:42:30 GMT
On Tue, 23 May 2000, Chuck Murcko wrote:

> Whoops. It would have excluded GPL'ed code from Apache projects per se.
>
> I'm not sure how it would apply to a loosely organized body of contrib
> code.
>
> Chuck Murcko wrote:
> >
> > Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > >
> > > Acked.  Do we have a position about contrib stuff on our sites yet?
> > > Particularly if GPLed?
> >
> > We discussed Roy's suggested contributor's guidelines, which would have
> > answered this.
> >
> > Did we ever decide to recommend adopting them or sending them to the
> > board for a vote?
> >
> > I'm +1 for that, though it would exclude GPL'ed code.

+1 on excluding GPLed code, personally; perhaps make exceptions in special
cases, if it's *really* desirable and can't be licensed any other way.

I'd be surprised if someone wrote any open source code which works
alongside Apache and GPLed it, rather than Apache-licensing it, and
refused to change the license; it could happen, though.

James.