httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 rant
Date Fri, 19 May 2000 09:37:36 GMT
I really hate to sound like an AOL-er, but I have to say "ditto" to Roy.
While I don't have much of substance to add to Roy's excellent response, I
*do* have to speak up to state that I emphatically agree with and stand
behind Roy's statements.

*) infighting? bunk. I haven't seen it. We pick each others' code apart
   and maybe we say "oh christ, that code sux." But we're talking about
   the code, not the people. Believe me: Ryan and I have butted heads a
   few times, even bordering on real harshness, but I think he's a great
   guy, and I easily dismiss the impact of those arguments when it comes
   to a *personal* interaction. Similar examples elsewhere. One example
   is that while I've been contributing very little code over the past
   year to Apache itself, I've been contributing a *lot* of review,
   suggestions, and double-checking. And that is all that is -- it isn't
   calling Jim a bastard or Jeff a dumbass. It is code review, plain and
   simple. (give me a dozen beers and whip me with a wet noodle and I
   might call them that, but until then... :-)

*) the future of Apache? Quite rosy. Emphatic and blunt review of the
   changes means that we end up with *good* code. If punches are pulled,
   and statements are wishy-washy, then the "bad" code may never be fixed.
   Personally, I would love for somebody to tell me "dood. what the hell
   is that? you absolutely have to rewrite that function." That tells me a
   couple things: somebody has reviewed the code, and my code is not as
   good as it could be.

*) progress? It is forward. A lot or a little... it is *forward*. We have
   no deadlines, we have no schedule. All we have is positive, forward
   development. At some point, we say "rad. ship the sucker!" If the code
   looks hoky now... no biggy, we just ship it later. If it looks good
   now, then we ship now. "Future" is awfully relative when there is no
   hard and fast schedule.

*) API? trust to deploy? One word: "Feh." As with Ryan and Roy: if you
   don't like it, don't want to install it, and don't want to develop it,
   then what is the point? I can point to others who *do* want to do all
   that, and I'll give them the time of day whenever they want it. At some
   point, Apache will be "ready" and your opinion and choice will matter
   tremendously. I'd be quite happy to listen to your concerns. But to say
   right now that you're "worried", yet offer no assistance, then I'll
   just drop you into a particular bucket (exercise for the reader to
   describe that bucket).

Hmm. That reads a bit harsh. Sorry, but I'm not sure how to soften it
properly, and I'm also not quite sure if it should be softened.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/