httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Add hook to get server read.
Date Thu, 11 May 2000 21:56:14 GMT
On Thu, 11 May 2000, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > This is also how mod_perl will hook things for the <perl>
> > directive.  Basically, <perl> will be EXEC_ON_READ, so when this is hit,
> > mod_perl takes over and reads from the config file until </perl>, and this
> > whole section of the file _should_ be put into the tree as raw
> > text.  Then, during the walk phase, mod_perl converts the perl code into
> > actual Apache directives.
> >
> > If you want external config parsers, then your whole config becomes:
> >
> > ReadExternalConfig "foobar"
> >

> What are external config parsers? Are you saying that this patch will
> allow a module to be written that can parse, say a Java properties
> file with Apache config directives in it and put this info directly
> into Apache's internal config structures?

Yes.

> What problem was driving you to this solution?

It is a side effect of the changes necessary to make mod_perl work.

EXEC_ON_READ is necessary for properly parsing and executing the
configuration (as I had outlined on several occasions). EXEC_ON_READ also
provides a way for modules to insert custom data into the configuration
tree (which is what mod_perl needs to do). The "external config parser" is
kind of another flavor of what mod_perl does; mod_perl will read from the
same config file, but mod_jserv can read from elsewhere.

Note that this is only about reaching 1.3 functionality for the mod_perl
case. It also allows mod_macro to operate in the 2.0 world.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/