httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: apxs on FreeBSD
Date Mon, 08 May 2000 22:06:21 GMT
On Mon, 8 May 2000 grisha@verio.net wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting apxs to work on FreeBSD, I'm wondering if I'm
> missing something obvious:
>
> $ gcc --version
> 2.95.2
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD nomad 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #7: Sat May  6
> 17:36:45 EDT 2000  root@nomad:/usr/src/sys/compile/NOMAD i386
>
> $ ~/www/bin/apxs -c mod_example.c
> gcc -funsigned-char -DUSE_EXPAT -I../lib/expat-lite -DNO_DL_NEEDED -Wall -I/home/grisha/www/include
 -c mod_example.c
>   -o mod_example.so mod_example.o
> apxs:Break: Command failed with rc=16711680

The first line is a complication. The second line is a link, but
CFG_LD_SHLIB is empty in your apxs script.

I've seen this occur pretty often with my mod_dav module. So much so, that
I include an entry in my installation instructions. mod_php has also seen
it and added a FAQ entry for PHP. In fact, PHP even includes a test in
their autoconf script to detect bad APXS installations.

For some reason, apxs is generated incorrectly and contains the empty
CFG_LD_SHLIB. Dunno why.

My suggestion has always been to rebuild and reinstall Apache, taking care
to ensure that mod_so is enabled. Also to ensure that the apxs script is
updated properly on the re-install. Further, you should ensure that
~/www/bin/apxs matches the Apache installation in question (I had some
cases where people were using /usr/sbin/apxs but their target Apache was
/usr/local/apache/...)

Cheers,
-g

--