httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Moving things around
Date Sun, 07 May 2000 02:10:48 GMT
On Sun, 7 May 2000, Sascha Schumann wrote:
> > > It makes much more sense to me to let users choose whatever MPM
> > > they want. Then the MPM tells APR what it needs to operate, and
> > > not the other way around.
> >
> > But then modules that use other APR features would be screwed. Which is
> > why APR must support everything available, not merely what the current
> > MPM needs.
>
> Define "other APR features."
>
> We are basically only talking about enabling/disabling threads in
> APR depending on what the MPM requires. Why should some other
> module care about threading issues?

If I choose the prefork MPM, then APR should *not* have its threads
disabled. I might have a module that spins up a thread to do some work.
Note that some of our I/O filtering designs will spin up a thread.

The choice of the MPM should have no bearing on the APR configuration. If
the user wants to optimize APR and disable threads, then they can. But
Apache shouldn't be doing it merely as a side-effect of choosing a
particular MPM.

> > MPM is really just another module. Its needs are not tbe be-all and
> > end-all of Apache's needs.
>
> While this is true from a programmer's perspective, the
> requirements of the MPM affect the build process drastically.
> In that way, MPMs are considered special.

I disagree. The MPM does not necessarily alter the build. Especially to do
something like disable threads in APR.

Cheers,
-g

--