httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Moving things around
Date Sat, 06 May 2000 02:28:39 GMT
On Sat, 6 May 2000, Sascha Schumann wrote:
> On Fri, May 05, 2000 at 07:42:38AM -0400, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > You are going on the assumption that APR only gets what the MPM needs.  We
> > decided a few weeks ago that this was the wrong approach.  APR gets what
> > the machine provides, and the MPM decision is based on what APR was
> > compiled with and what the user specified.  For the prefork MPM, there are
> > two ways to specify this desire to Apache:
> >
> > 1)  When configuring APR --disable-threads
> > 2)  When configuring Apache --with-mpm=prefork
> >
> > The first method means there is no extra code in APR for threading.  The
> > second means APR has threading code but Apache ignores it.
>
> I don't see how this can work. Why the hell do you expect the
> user to know that he must specify --disable-threads, so that he
> can use the prefork MPM?

Those options are exclusive; the user doesn't have to do both.

1) The user has forced APR to not use threads. During the Apache
   configuration, it sees that threads are not available, so it resorts to
   the prefork MPM by default.

2) APR does get configured with threads, but Apache ignores that fact and
   just uses the prefork.

> It makes much more sense to me to let users choose whatever MPM
> they want. Then the MPM tells APR what it needs to operate, and
> not the other way around.

But it makes sense to me to have APR configure as it pleases. Apache then
uses whatever functionality is available, or follows what the user has
told it to do (e.g. select a specific MPM).

IMO, Apache doesn't even need its own thread detection: it should be
possible to determine that from the resulting APR configuration.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/