httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Koen Holtman <Koen.Holt...@cern.ch>
Subject Re: Bala's papers on HTTP/1.1 compliance (fwd)
Date Mon, 08 May 2000 17:31:13 GMT

One data point: I read the paper procow-1.ps.gz soon after it came out.
I went over my notes and there is nothing really alarming in there
Apache-wise.

On the other hand, there are ways in which Apache can help users in being
more 1.1 compliant.  One thing I found in my old (early 1999) notes:

     Apache currently does not do anything special with
     ETag headers returned by CGI scripts, even if the scripts are
     invoked without content negotiation.  This means that if a
     dynamic content CGI scripts wants to be cache-friendly to 1.1
     caches, it will have to do its own If-Match and If-None-Match
     processing.  This is a pain, it should be done by Apache in
     ap_meets_conditions.  Fixing it is straightforward but it is
     also a CGI interface change.

I also seem to recall that if mod_expires is enabled, Expires: <date in
future> will be added even to some 'dynamic' responses (produced by other
modules) that should really be uncacheable as far as the other module is
concerned. This is less of a 1.1 compliance issue as it is one in which a
certain configuration setting has compliant but unintentional side
effects.

There is probably more stuff like this.  The thought of it keeps nagging
me, but I find that I never have the spare time to start doing something
about it.

Koen.