httpd-dev mailing list archives

From mccre...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: Cross-compile problem
Date Fri, 05 May 2000 15:12:39 GMT

> Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 10:10:50 +0000
> From: Elizabeth Clarke <eclarke@aminocom.com>
>
> It appears you build a couple of programs to generate headers...
> In a cross-compile enviroment this, unsurprisingly, doesn't work.
> I can't imagine I'm the first person to point this out, but I
> didn't find anything in the FAQ's or doc's.
> Is it going to be fixed?

> Thanks
> Beth

I don't think there's a "fix" needed, rather cross-compiling platforms need
to take care of their unique situation.

I can tell you what we did for TPF...
The TPF operating system is EBCDIC based and has no native compilers.
We use OS/390, which is also EBCDIC based, to compile Apache.
You can grep the Apache files looking for "TPF" to see the specific changes
we made.
I'll point out the ones that affect compiling here.

src/os/tpf/TPFExport:
This is a short file of TPF unique set-up, run prior to make. We make sure
that TPF's libraries/directories are used instead of OS/390's.

src/helpers/GuessOS:
This script is used to determine which OS you're on.  We changed it so that
it would show TPF even though we were compiling on OS/390.

src/Configure:
A section was added for TPF unique settings such as "compile only".  The
linking for TPF is done outside of the make process: Another cross-compile
necessity.

src/Makefile.tmpl:
The changes here are for both TPF and OS/390.  They're OS/390 compiler
instructions.

Hope this helps.

David McCreedy
IBM