httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Review then commit.
Date Mon, 29 May 2000 15:13:49 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> I must be missing something.  It seems relatively obvious to me
> that at some point we must go from alpha to beta.  What better
> time to go from alpha to beta than when there are no more known
> bugs and no more open showstopper issues or more issues documented
> as desired in the release?

When there is consensus on the list, is when.

> Am I the only person who sees this as an obvious time to become
> a beta?

Possibly not, but you *do* seem to be the only person assuming
it's going to happen that way rather than asking people to
agree that it's a good time. :-)

> When would you see this becoming a beta?

When I'm sure that no-one is going to say, "We're in beta now, so no
more features/innovations."  Aside from that concern, I'm happy for
this to go to beta right now.  But if doing so in going to put a
lid on fun work, then I'm -1 -- and that's a veto, not a vote.

> I have had conversations off-line with at least five more AG
> members who would like to see this move forward.

I am rather concerned at what appears to be a growing trend for
Apache-related discussions that lead to decisions to happen
'offline.'  That's contrary to the open and group-effort aspects
of this project.  If there are five other dedicated people who
think as you do, let 'em come forth and say so on the list, where
they're *supposed* to.  I would really like this star-chamber offline
stuff to STOP, since I have the feeling it's largely among people
who are regionally close together in the Bay area, and that shuts
out a lot of the rest of us.

> I think stability separates alpha's from beta's.  I think the
> way we tend to operate, new features go into the tree throughout
> our releases, so the only thing that really can differentiate is
> stability.

Fine.  Then I'm +1 for going to beta very soon, since you *won't*
be clamouring that new features and innovations shouldn't go
in by virtue of it being beta.  Which is what I thought I was
detecting.
--
#ken    P-)}