httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Review then commit.
Date Sun, 28 May 2000 22:03:36 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> But the config stuff doesn't need to be in an alpha because it is
> invisible to the user.

Once again, you seem to see some type of milestone event that
I don't, that causes us to transition from alpha status to beta.
And from some other comments in this thread, I don't think I'm
the only one missing what you think causes this transition -- so
I don't believe we can take it for granted.

> I really don't know what you mean by non-filesystem
> resources.

I think he means being able to map URLs to things like objects in
a database, or files in a tarball, or the like.

> Here's my position.  We have had three potential 2.0's now
> (not alpha's, three independant 2.0 repositories), and we are
> about to have a fourth alpha for this one.

Um, I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  Are you referring to
the NSPR, initial 2.0 sandbox, and hybrid server CVS modules that
have come and gone?

> This one is getting stable, and many of the people who have been
> working hardest on this would like to see it released and
> moved forward.

I think you're the only one I've noticed agitating for this (aside
from Bill, who has IBM reasons).  Have I missed something?  Who
are these 'many?'

> I don't want to take another year to get 2.0 released.  I would
> like to head towards beta relatively soon, because I think this
> is almost ready for it.

Well, since it's unclear to me what you think differentiates alpha
status from beta, I can't comment on your last sentence.  However,
I am strongly opposed to either rushing or pinching off development
just because of some artificial and arbitrary release-date pressure.
When it's ready, and the group has reached consensus to that
effect, is when it should be released.

Perhaps if I understood your alpha/beta vision I would agree.
However, since the notes of a couple of days ago sounded like
you want to stop innovation in 2.0 and just finish the current
task list, I'd like a real clarification..
--
#ken    P-)}