httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Talebbeik <sae...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject Lack of support for Apache and Broadvision.
Date Fri, 19 May 2000 03:59:32 GMT
Folks, in my last project I worked with Broadvision for creating
a small portal. The client has chosen a Solaris/Netscape http server
as the web server.

The Apache is able to work with Broadvision only in the CGI mode.
Apache is not supported in a full production mode with the
proprietary Broadvision NSAPI load balancing module embedded inside the
Apache server.

I would like to ask the opinion of the forum about the following two
issues.

1) What are the technical barriers involved in porting an NSAPI module
   from Netscape to Apache?

2) I am not certain but a trend seems to have developed here.
   When some corporations want an industrial strength solution, they
   feel that IIS or Netscape are a safer bet. Actually I personally feel
that
   Apache is unfairly portrayed as running that other "non-critical" 55%
   of the web and IIS and Netscape are running the "industrial strength"
   e-commerce sites and portals. Please do not get me wrong. I have been
   a very strong advocate of Apache. But maybe issues such as
   lack of production level support from some third party vendors such
as
   Broadvision has contributed to this issue. I appreciate any input
   about this issue from the members of this forum.

I am willing to put my personal efforts on some of these third party
support issues in anyway that I can (technical and otherwise) if
necessary. However
I would like to get the opinion of the forum, particularly the input
from the ASF members.

   Best Regards,
   Sam