httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: mod_proxy patch for 1.3.12
Date Wed, 17 May 2000 18:47:02 GMT
dean gaudet wrote:

> i don't think it handles chunking correctly, unless there's an update that
> i haven't seen yet (possible considering i can only skim new-httpd these
> days).

A more accurate description of the issue with chunking, is that it does
not yet support transfer encoding of any kind.

As required by the RFC, all transfer encoding headers are stripped from
the request as it goes through, which means that the patch does work as
it stands - it does not "break" anything. It should more accurately be
described though as HTTP/1.1 minus TE support.

The issue with supporting TE is involved with how - I've been looking at
the functions in buff.c, that apparently support chunking inline. The
trouble is, these functions are designed as a single pipeline - data is
read from one pipe, and then written to another, chunking or dechunking
as it goes.

The issue is that mod_proxy requires data to be read and then passed to
two different pipelines - one to the browser, the other to the cached
file on disk. This means that I probably need to hack at buff.c to make
this work efficiently. But - buff.c has been hacked significantly (as
far as I am aware) between 1.3 and 2.0 - so is the work worth it?

Another spanner in the works is that I intent for the mod_proxy code to
support other TE's, like gzip, etc. It would probably make more sense to
support this in the same layer that supports chunking...

I am busy looking at various ways of doing this... will get back to you
all...

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon