httpd-dev mailing list archives

From cizaire_liste <cizaire_li...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Embeding apache into an application
Date Wed, 17 May 2000 08:23:58 GMT
Greg Stein a écrit :

> On Tue, 16 May 2000, cizaire_liste wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to embed apache into an already written application
> > (on solaris, linux and NT), by loading it as a shared library,
> > and that raises some points :
> > - how to use apache when my application provides the main
> > (maybe something to do with REALMAIN)
> > - how to prevent apache to fork (but multi threading is ok)
> > (maybe something to do with MULTITHREAD but I am not sure it
> > is handled on unix)
> > - how to get the http requests
> > (maybe something like a mod_... to develop)
> > - what is the minimal configuration
> > - how to do it well
> >
> > I hope that I can have some good advices from you.
>
> Apache is not designed for this at all. It presumes that it has control
> over the process, its threads, the main loop, etc.
>
> I'm not sure what the advantage of embedding Apache would be. What are you
> actually trying to do? Somehow control the embedded app?
I have an application that is a distributed objects integration platform
(nice isn't it :) ). And I like to add an object that is able to
translate
http request into platform requests. So I need to embed an httpd into
this object, as the apache main is prety small, robust, efficient and
broadly used. So I feel enough confident in it to use it, except
the raised points, an other solution can be to build an IPC between
apache
and the platform but I do prefer to embed it if possible.