httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: How fast should I expect Apache to go?
Date Tue, 09 May 2000 15:20:43 GMT
Mike Spreitzer wrote:

> Some colleagues and I are working on speeding up SSL usage through use of hardware accelerators,
and would like to demonstrate
> improvements in web servers such as Apache.  We've been disappointed in the performance
we get from Apache "out of the box", both
> without SSL and with mod_ssl (software SSL), and were wondering if we're doing something
wrong.  I don't have precise figures at
> hand right now, but I've been quoted figures of 50--100 HEAD requests per second without
SSL, and about 10 per second with
> mod_ssl --- on some SPARC.  So let me ask: what should I expect, for example on a Sun
Ultra-10 workstation running Solaris 7 on a
> single 440 MHz UltraSparc IIi processor with 256 MB RAM, both without SSL and with mod_ssl?
 For another example, what would it take
> to get Apache to approx. 300 HEADs per second, without SSL, on Sun hardware & OS?

If you are creating a new SSL session each time, then about 10 per
second doesn't sound surprising.

But if you want me to be any more specific than this, you need to be
using Apache-SSL.

Cheers,

Ben.

--