httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: location of md5, sha1, base64, and validate_password
Date Mon, 08 May 2000 16:04:03 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> Nobody is talking about ap.lib. These things could just as well go into
> ApacheCore.dll (and should, IMO). And yes, ap.lib should die and that
> stuff would just go into src/main.
>
> Ronald points out that the md5/sha1/base64 functions have no more
> system-specific code in them (they layer on top of APR). Therefore, they
> don't need to go into APR.
>
> This question goes back to whether APR is to enhance portability, or if it
> is a catch-all kitchen sink of useful functionality. (and by my phrasing,
> you should be able to tell which I prefer... :-)

To quote from my FreeBSD manual pages:

MD5(3)                 FreeBSD Library Functions Manual
MD5(3)

NAME
     MD5Init, MD5Update, MD5Final, MD5End, MD5File, MD5Data - calculate
the
     RSA Data Security, Inc., ``MD5'' message digest

So ... does every platform support MD5 in a native library?

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html