httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Moving things around
Date Sat, 06 May 2000 13:48:27 GMT
Sascha Schumann wrote:

> On Fri, May 05, 2000 at 07:42:38AM -0400, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> >
> > > Let me clarify why that won't work.
> > >
> > > Everything (including APR and MM) depends on which MPM gets chosen,
> > > because it can change *everything* depending on what feature set
> > > is associated with the MPM.
> >
> > You are going on the assumption that APR only gets what the MPM needs.  We
> > decided a few weeks ago that this was the wrong approach.  APR gets what
> > the machine provides, and the MPM decision is based on what APR was
> > compiled with and what the user specified.  For the prefork MPM, there are
> > two ways to specify this desire to Apache:
> >
> > 1)  When configuring APR --disable-threads
> > 2)  When configuring Apache --with-mpm=prefork
> >
> > The first method means there is no extra code in APR for threading.  The
> > second means APR has threading code but Apache ignores it.
>
> I don't see how this can work. Why the hell do you expect the
> user to know that he must specify --disable-threads, so that he
> can use the prefork MPM?

We don't. If the user specifies disable-threads, then the prefork MPM
_must_ be chosen, coz its the only one that will work.

> It makes much more sense to me to let users choose whatever MPM
> they want. Then the MPM tells APR what it needs to operate, and
> not the other way around.

But then modules that use other APR features would be screwed. Which is
why APR must support everything available, not merely what the current
MPM needs.

MPM is really just another module. Its needs are not tbe be-all and
end-all of Apache's needs.

Cheers,

Ben.

--