httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: Redo the ap_proc_t stuff.
Date Fri, 19 May 2000 21:31:13 GMT
>Okay, Roy's comments about the process type got to me.  Roy, you are
>correct, the only sensible way to represent a process is with an
>integer.  I believe (after speaking with Bill S.) that we can get a pid
>from Windows with a System call.  I expect to work on re-designing this
>code this weekend after the docs are finished.  :-)

Okay, just don't assume that I am right about the process stuff.
I was just writing what I was thinking while I followed the code trail.
The endpoint was that I didn't understand what was intended and needed
to ask those questions, not that I thought the right solution was
to use pid everywhere.  I do know that the abstraction is broken
because of the way the MPMs fool with pids, but I'm not sure what the
right way is to fix it.  And I do know that pid_t is long under Solaris,
whereas many parts of the code assume it is an int, but that was just a
minor coding issue that caused me to begin the trail.

What I really wanted to know was the purpose of the abstraction.
I mean, if this thing is supposed to represent the lowest level of
control thread on all platforms, then we should probably call it
something other than process and come up with a truly abstract
interface for creating/printing/comparing/destructing it.
If, however, it is intended to be the highest level of control
thread (the parent of all parents maybe), then perhaps it is just
being used inconsistently.

>Roy, you made a big mistake, you got me excited again.  I've been lagging
>recently, but you gave me a swift kick in the pants.  Your mistake.  :-P

No problem, I make great mistakes all the time.  While I'm on the topic,
is it possible to arrange the pod stuff so that it looks good in pod2man,
or was that function intended for a different purpose?  The reason I ask
is that the pod2man complains about a missing NAME section.  Or is there
a better way to look at pod stuff in ascii?  pod came along after I stopped
working on perl stuff, so I don't know the "right" way to do it.

....Roy "pain in the ass" Fielding