httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 rant
Date Fri, 19 May 2000 20:51:46 GMT
>One final point... it's inconsistant, IMO, to criticize Ryan as
>looking at 2.0 as "his" code, while at the same time saying that
>if it continues "I'll pull it out." True, it's not Ryan's project.
>It's not any _one's_ project. You don't assert dictorial control
>to respond to some perceived dictorial concerns. :)

No, no, no, that's not what I intended at all.  Don't try to connect
the dots between my reaction to Ryan's need to get it off his chest,
which I very much support, and my categorical statement that the code
won't stay in the repository if criticism isn't welcomed.

Anyone who does a lot of work on the project is going to identify themself
with their own work, but we all have to understand that the purpose of
contributing to the project is to get that critical review that makes
our code (especially my code) much better than it would be otherwise.
The more review you get just means that we consider your code to be
worth more than working on our own pet projects -- it is an honor.

The second point Jim is just plain wrong about.  The reason we have
veto power over the repository is so that we can assert dictatorial
control when to do otherwise would jeopardize the project.  That is
exactly what I would do if I thought it was necessary, and that's
what I would expect you guys to do if you thought it was necessary,
and we'd probably spend some time hashing it out and deciding on a
less annoying alternative in the process.  But the reasoning is very
simple: the ASF was created to ensure that the Apache projects
continue as collaborative open source development projects.  Anything
will cease to be an Apache project as soon as it ceases to be
collaborative in nature, which is just a euphemism for having shared
review and responsibility for the entire code base.

I am absolutely certain that this wasn't what Ryan intended by his
comments.  I was just using the polar extreme as an example to explain
why Ryan should not feel bad about criticism of the code.  Sorry if
it came out the wrong way.

....Roy