httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 rant
Date Fri, 19 May 2000 13:15:54 GMT
Jeff Stuart wrote:

> Folks, this is what I was talking about earlier in the week.  I am starting
> to become SERIOUSLY concerned about the future of Apache!  This infighting
> has GOT to stop.  Now, yes, I have only recently started to read the mailing
> list.  Basically about the time that 2.0a1 came out.  However, since then, I
> have seen at least 3 big discussions about MPM and APR with what looked like
> to me to end up with a bunch of bickering and egos flying around.  Now, I
> may have misperceived this.  If I did, I apologize.

One needs to recall that Apache is developed in a very loose and open
environment. Even though there are some/few/several developers who
might be getting paid to do Apache work, I think it's fair to say
that for all of us, it's a deeply personal project. In the end, we
work on Apache because it means something to us. It's important
to us.

I saw (and still see) Ryan's post as a reaction towards a project
that he cares deeply about. I, for one, think that's a Good Thing.
When Apache stops being a personal issue for people, then the energy
that made (and is still making) Apache great will die off, and Apache
will go with it. Ryan made some valid points... he made them in
an empassioned way, to be sure, but they are true nonetheless.
To ignore the message because of the way it was presented is unwise
IMO.

But this is not something that's unusual for us. We have our share
of discussions/fights/arguments. And because Apache _is_ so totally
open, our dirty laundry is available for all to see. Believe me,
this happens just as much, in fact much more so, with projects that
are not as open. If anything, we work together better than the vast
majority of "software projects" I've been associated with. Not bad
for a group of people who have physically met each other maybe a
handful of times.

One final point... it's inconsistant, IMO, to criticize Ryan as
looking at 2.0 as "his" code, while at the same time saying that
if it continues "I'll pull it out." True, it's not Ryan's project.
It's not any _one's_ project. You don't assert dictorial control
to respond to some perceived dictorial concerns. :)

	"I'm in control now" - Al Haig
                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"