httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: ap_wait_all_procs(), recent "reliable piped logs" changes to MPMs
Date Tue, 16 May 2000 22:33:04 GMT
> From: rbb@covalent.net
> Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 14:09:54 -0400 (EDT)
>

> > Currently, the status parameter to wait_or_timeout() is never
> > initialized and so the accidental contents of that storage is used as
> > an array index in process_child_status().  mpmt_pthread has been
> > broken on OS/390 for the last couple of weeks due to this, and I just
> > got a chance to look at it.
> >
> > (This little note is just to give Ryan a chance to say "I ran into a
> > little problem with that... you need to do XXX" before I go hacking.)
>
> Actually, I removed the status variable all together for dexter, because
> it wasn't necessary.  It may not be necessary for the other MPM's either,
> I don't remember right now.

It isn't "necessary" but it is useful for logging any non-zero exits.
Both prefork and mpmt_pthread have logic to log signals and bad exit
codes.  Why waste it?

>                              I believe the problem with returning a status
> from wait_all_procs is that some platforms don't support that option, I'm
> thinking Windows, but I could be wrong about that.

Maybe this Unix-specific code shouldn't be calling a routine that is
subject to such issues?

> This is one of the places where bringing all of the common code from the
> mpms together will help us in the long run.  I have no problem adding a
> status variable to ap_wait_all_procs, but we need to make sure it will
> actually do something on Windows and OS/2 first.  And I want to make sure
> we need to status variable before we begin on this project.
>
> Ryan
> 406 29th St.
> San Francisco, CA 94131

What was improved with the change from waitpid() to
ap_wait_all_procs()?

We picked up the following negative characteristics:

1) occasional (?) segfaults
2) lack of trace of bad exit status or signals
3) storage leak (ap_proc_t created by ap_wait_all_procs)

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...