httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/mpm/winnt winnt.c
Date Mon, 15 May 2000 20:17:29 GMT
>Here is my take on this.  Windows NT and Windows 9X are very different
>platforms.  create two different MPMs.  They should be very similar to
>each other, and should most likely contain some of the same code, so a new
>directory structure may be required.  However, NT/2000 will always have
>features that 95/98 don't have, and we want to take advantage of those
>features.  Trying to squeeze them all into one MPM becomes ugly
>quickly.  I suggest a layout similar to:
>
>src/modules/mpm/windows/
>                        win32
>                        win9x
>                        common

I'm not sure about the "correct" way to do Windows, but I do know that
there is no way to run a robust web server on anything less than Win2000.[*]
For that reason, I would suggest focusing on a single MPM and use
conditionals to replace modern constructs with older variants/home-cooked
code where needed.

[*] I don't know if it is possible to run a robust server on Win2000
    either, but NT4 wasn't even close.

<rant relevance="minor">
But, since I don't maintain the Windows port and thus don't consider
my own opinions to be worth much for that platform, I might as well
follow on with another meaningless opinion on APR directory structure:
it sucks.  Having to flip through multiple directories just to fix
a single bug in one routine makes maintenance a pain in the ass.
I'd rather have a forest of #ifdefs than have the same broken logic
cut-n-pasted into multiple files in the vague hope that the maintainers
of other platforms will fix the same bugs in parallel.  Failing that,
I'd rather have all the code for a given purpose in one directory and
use name suffixes to separate them by platform, since then I won't have
to leave my frame of reference just to do platform comparisons.
</rant feeling="much better now, thanks">

Back to your regularly scheduled program....

....Roy