httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: Moving things around
Date Sun, 14 May 2000 07:25:56 GMT
On Sat, May 13, 2000 at 04:30:42PM +0100, Ben Laurie wrote:
> dean gaudet wrote:
> > give me a use case.
> > it's not sufficient to say "someone might want to do it".  i want to hear
> > what the application is, and i want to hear reasons why it should be
> > solved in such an assinine way.
>
> What is "assinine" about not leaving stuff out when you don't have to?
>
> I want you to give me reasons why APR should leave thread support out
> when the platform supports it.

Doing so doubles the number of possible configuration combinations
when using prefork (and maybe triples or more; what about when you can
choose to use MIT pthreads, Pth, or Solaris threads?)

Making code work under all those permutations is harder. And for
users, configuring a system with so many choices is harder. So, since
there is a known cost, it'd be nice to have a benefit to make it
worthwhile.