httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject mod_macro
Date Sun, 14 May 2000 07:07:07 GMT
On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 09:15:17AM +0200, Fabien COELHO wrote:
> cpp: you cannot have multi line macros... so cpp macros are just useless.

#include is there; but I can see that not being optimal.

> m4: the quoting mecanism `' is horrible (from my poor experience).

Now we're getting into personal preference. There are choices other
than m4 if you don't like its quoting mechanism. Perl is even quite
possible, especially with its <<EOF construct.

If you don't like existing languages for doing conditional inclusion
and macros, isn't it better to write an external filter to do this, so
that all applications can benefit from a unified syntax?

> > #ifdef SPOON
> > ServerRoot /spoon
> > #else
> > ServerRoot /fork
> > #endif
>
> <IfDefine SPOON> is already in, you don't need this;-)

My point is that Apache doesn't need to support IfDefine.

> Well, they are out at the time, and you don't have to use them if there
> are in some day;-)

Duplicating function that has already been written for us means more
bugs, more complexity, more code (meaning less chance of fitting into
cache as Dean always says). This affects everybody.